Why sign up for CanSkate?
CanSkate is Canada’s only national learn-to-skate program. It was developed by experts to teach the fundamentals of skating in a progressive and sequential manner.
When you/your child registers for a CanSkate program at your local Skate Canada club, you also become a member of Skate Canada, the national sport governing body for figure skating in Canada. Membership benefits in the CanSkate program can include:
- coloring sheets
- parent information sheets
- progress updates and report cards
- special CanSkate events and club functions
- CanSkater of the Year award program
- opportunity to be talent-scouted
- opportunity to participate in a positive healthy lifestyle activity
What can I expect during a typical CanSkate session?
Your child’s CanSkate session will include:
- Lesson time – new skill instruction, skill review and practice time
- Group activities
- Cool down
Report cards and earned badges are issued on the last day of the session. The six stage badges of the program are:
- Please have your child at the arena on time, dressed and ready to go on the ice at the scheduled session time
- Please use the assigned dressing room. Signs are posted on the arena dressing room entries.
Needed: Skates, Helmet, warm clothing and mittens
For CanSkate, hockey or figure skates are acceptable
- We recommend the following stores for purchasing skates:
9216-51 Ave 438-9059
10323-78 Ave 433-1181
Before purchasing skates check carefully for:
- Proper fit
- Firm ankle support
- Correct blade placement
Staff at the above stores will help with the proper fitting of skates
- CSA hockey helmets are MANDATORY
- Fit should be snug
- Clothing should provide warmth but not restrict movement
- Layering of sweat suits, sweaters, ski jackets and long underwear or leotards is recommended. Bulky snowsuits can hinder movement
- Warm mittens or gloves are a must